My Sticky Mess

Well I'm a bad butt cowgirl living in the wild midwest, wicka wicka scratch, yo yo bang bang. Me and Artemis Clyde Frogg gonna save Salma Hayek from the big bad spider. Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A Lesson in Three Parts… Part One

Not Listening!

I have a bad habit. It’s not necessarily that it’s bad for me, as much as it is bad to me, but that’s really for you to decide.

You see, I have this automatic thing I do when speaking with people who annoy me. When they say something, I give an encouraging, “mm hmm” and a little head nod that allows them to believe that they can continue, and that I like what they have to say. But I don’t.

So I’m eternally stuck in a mode where I have to listen to people I don’t like, talk about things that I don’t care about. And it would be one thing if I just listened, but sometimes –most times- I include my own personal commentary, and I have no idea why.

What makes me this way? When did I find this acceptable? Is it my incessant need for people to listen to me brought to life by the belief that if I listen to them they will do the same?

Yeah, that’s probably it, but it never works that way. For I listen, and I converse, yet when I talk I get cut off or ignored. So why don’t I become a raging psycho and never listen to anyone ever again?

Cause while I hate my habit, it makes for some darn good story telling, of whose benefits you reap.

At least that’s the idea. The following are examples, not of these conversations, but of how it is when I am heard, and for extended lengths of time...

2 Comments:

At 3:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand you, I act in the same annoying way... I hate doing that, but I can't avoid it :(

Anyway, most people want you to listen them but aren't incapable to listen to you. Some of my "friends" don't know where I'm going on holiday, but I tried to tell them, and they start to talk about themselves again. It sucks :(

 
At 4:19 AM , Blogger StickyKeys said...

I know the feeling well! I don't know why it's so hard to listen to others sometimes, but it's an epidemic!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home