My Sticky Mess

Well I'm a bad butt cowgirl living in the wild midwest, wicka wicka scratch, yo yo bang bang. Me and Artemis Clyde Frogg gonna save Salma Hayek from the big bad spider. Enjoy!

Friday, June 17, 2005

Juneteenth!

In honor of Juneteenth I would like to share my best "talking about slavery around white folk" story!

My nephews and nieces are biracial and it's been an uphill battle trying to get their mother to admit to such.

There's more on that struggle here.

Anyhow, my nephew was doing a family tree and he asked me what Juneteenth was. I told him it was the celebration of the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the slaves. He asked me if any of our family had been slaves and I told him that in fact our last name was a slave name.

Sorry, it just slipped out! So my biracial nephew goes to his white mother and says,

"MOM! Did you know that our last name was a SLAVE NAME! Our family was held as SLAVES!"

Ha! Now my SIL doesn't like me talking about race anyway (no really, read the link), so I was on the other end of the phone going, "oh my sweet Jesus."

SIL just said, "Oh, oh really, how interesting." She never said anything to me about it, but later my oldest niece (my brother's daughter from a previous relationship) called me and was like, "What is wrong with you?!" I couldn't do anything but laugh. I mean, on the real, the children have to be taught!

Won't somebody please think of the CHILDREN!

More on a Juneteenth

4 Comments:

At 10:06 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

You are hilarious! :)

 
At 11:18 AM , Blogger Kate said...

I didn't know about Juneteenth. That's cool! Is it the same day every year?

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger StickyKeys said...

It's called Juneteenth because it's usually celebrated between the "teenth" days in the month (13th - 19th). I think the official day is the 19th, but mostly whatever day Saturday falls on is when most people do things.

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Ok, Cool! Thank you. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home