My Sticky Mess

Well I'm a bad butt cowgirl living in the wild midwest, wicka wicka scratch, yo yo bang bang. Me and Artemis Clyde Frogg gonna save Salma Hayek from the big bad spider. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Telluride Film Festival... Do It!

So there's this small indy film theater on campus here called The Mary Riepma Ross Media Arts Center, and it's totally awesome. Anything that the local theater won't show, they'll show here. I saw The Dreamers (which sucked) there, and Bamboozled (double suck), and She Hate Me (triple sucky suck) there, along with tons of really wonderful movies.

They also have directors and writers come in and give special screenings and presentations. It's really rad and I love it!

Anyhow, every year the The Telluride Film Festival sends entries to the school, and then people in the community can judge them. Past winners have included Matt Stone, Spike Lee, and others. It's totally awesome and if you have a center near you, I implore you to judge. You could be seeing the first works of America's next great director! And most times, the contestants that don't advance leave their films so like, free movies y'all.


This PSA brought to you by StickyKeys, film geek.

3 Comments:

At 4:32 PM , Blogger katiedid said...

Bamboozled gets a double suck rating from you? I'd only give it one suck. It was at least interseting in parts, and I could think of a million movies that couldn't even muster that, were it not for the fact that they were so boring I've forgotten them. There were a bunch of problems with it, though, specifically ones regarding the plot making sense. Some of the sociological commentary is stuff no one else seems to be bothering to say, so I'll give Spike some big credit for that. Of course, I'm only a film dork... I actually aspire to reach film geek someday.

The only film festivals I've gone to are ones for kung-fu movies, Japanese movies (not the arty ones, the ganster ones where everyone wears suits and shoot things up), and cartoons. Yet I love little indie movies - what's wrong with me?!

 
At 4:41 PM , Blogger StickyKeys said...

Bamboozled would have been okay, but it tried to do too much, and it didn't present any explanations, or motivations, just problems. And we know what the problems are already, it's what to do about them that's the issue. He dissed a whole lot of people during the making of the movie, but I don't feel he placed the blame in the right place. I'm going to do an analysis of it sometime soon. I have to finish this recap first, Ahhhh!

 
At 8:20 PM , Blogger katiedid said...

You know what, though... not all people know the problems he tried to highlight. I know people who got angry and annoyed because they thought "oh there goes Spike Lee making another movie about stuff no one cares about, and making a mountain out of a molehill again." Seriously, that was the gist of their opinion on it. Not that he didn't provide solutions, but that there was not any problem to discuss in the first place. It was a little hard for me take in that fact, and they thought I was nuts for watching the whole thing.

My problem is that the thing was a mess and all over the place with threads of the plot, and Damon Wayans was trying to do a good job from what I can tell, but he was out of his league with some of the other actors. Tommy Davidson in particular impressed me, because I always think of him doing marvelously silly things on Living Color.

I don't know why he dissed so many of the folks he worked with on that film. He just came off sounding pissy and small, and his complaints seemed to be the kind that go nowhere, from what I recall. I could be wrong there, though. I just vaguely remember him saying catty things about some of the small behind the scenes people. Again, I don't know if I'm right there. So after you deal with the recap and all that, please please please post your spiel on Bamboozled. You've got me dying of curiosity to hear your thoughts on it now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home